Last Trip to See Aunt Ernestines

It took us a long time to get mom to go to Albuquerque, NM to see her sister. Then the first of March she decided that she wanted to go. I had a doctor appointment on Wednesday the 11th. So after that I drove to Enid and picked up mom. Road trip for mom and me. We got to Amarillo about 10:00 pm. Stayed at a Holiday Inn Express.

We got up Thursday Morning and headed to Albuquerque. We just had one side trip but we were only about a block off the correct path. We found a hotel about 4 blocks from Aunt Ernestines. So we checked into the Hilton Garden Inn. There was a Starbucks next door that was a selling point for this hotel.

After Changing our clothes we headed over to Aunt Ernestines

Ernestine and Jodean
Aunt Ernestine and Jodean

When we walked in their apartment they hugged for the longest time. Mom and Ernestine was crying, I was crying, Suzanne was crying. We had a very good afternoon talking about everything. Mom and Ernestine did a lot of hand holding. She told me about her smoking in her younger years. She had an absessed tooth and the infection settled in her lungs and they had to remove her lower lobe of her lung. She also had gotten pneumonia and had a lot of scar tissue in her lungs.

Ernestine and Jodean
They had their feet up on their walkers.

We stayed for a while then mom was ready to go. Then Friday morning we got up and checked out of the hotel. We went back to see Aunt Ernestine. She had a really bad spell that morning and they were going to take her to the hospital. So we didn't stay long. We headed back to Oklahoma. It snowed most of the way home. The temperature was always above freezing, so we just set the cruise control and drove home. We ate lunch at Del's in Tucumcari, NM. I just love that place. We then arrived back in Amarillo at 4:00 pm. It was way to early to stop for the night and I knew that this snow was going to stop. So right after Amarillo the snow did stop. We then decided we would drive until dark. Well, we made it to Weatherford by dark, so we just decided to drive on it. We arrived home at 10 pm.

This is the Definition of Bittersweet!

Then Saturday night at 11:30 pm. Mom called me and told me that they had taken Aunt Ernestine to the hospital. The next morning at 8:00 am mom called back and told me that Aunt Ernestine had died. WOW, I was not expecting that. Yes, I knew that she was having trouble breathing. She hadn't been feeling well for the last couple of weeks. I guess mom just knew that she needed to go and see her.

I am so glad that God gave them those last 2 days together! Makes me believe!

More pictures of the 2 days in Albuquerque, NM - March 12th and 13th, 2009

uncle Bob
Uncle Bob
Robin and Kathi
Robin and Kathi
Kathi and Suzanne
Suzanne and Kathi
Aunt Ernestine and Uncle Bob on Friday

Send me your favorite story. or post in my blog